I can’t believe that 2016 has already come and gone. Is it just me or do years go by faster as you get older? As 2017 begins, I thought it would be good to reflect on the past year and set some goals for the year to come.
In the past 12 months, I have:
- Lived in the Bay Area and actually saw the sun a few times.
- Participated in Imagine Silicon Valley 2017 as a Staff member and as a result, “added” a few more Spaniards to my extended family.
- Saw my brother get married to the love of his life.
- Spent time with family I hadn’t seen in awhile.
- Traveled to Spain twice and fell in love with Colombia (particularly Medellín).
- Completed a User Experience Design Course from General Assembly
(See my final project here).
- Discovered my true professional passion, user experience.
- Learned the basics of HTML and CSS.
- Started going to the gym more regularly and feel great as a result.
What do I have planned for the next 12 months?
- Read at least one physical book per month – Yes, I have an iPad, a laptop etc., but I honestly miss the smell of a fresh book. I’m sad that bookstores are rapidly disappearing.
- Continue to exercise regularly and eat healthier – I love how I feel after I get done a good work out. I have more energy and am able to get a lot more done. Regarding eating healthier, I want to try to have a more balanced diet and cut back on the sweets.
- Start a Master’s in Spain – This will definitely be a highlight of 2017. As I continue to develop my skills as a UX/UI designer, I thought the next most logical step would be to go to grad school. After I did my research and applied to several programs, I am pleased to say that I was accepted into ELISAVA’s Master’s in Design and Direction of Internet Projects (Interaction Design) program. I will move to Barcelona next month and start classes the 24th. I am also excited that the entire program is in Spanish.
- Learn a new language – I’ll let you decide whether or not Catalan is really a language, but I am going to learn it this year. I understand it and speak a little bit already, so hopefully it will come naturally. Who knows? I may work on another language, like Portuguese, as well.
- Travel – I will be in Europe for a year and plan to take advantage of it. My sister and I already have a Morocco trip planned.
- Write more – I commit to writing a blog post at least once a week. The only way I am going to improve my writing is by doing it.
This quote does a great job at summing up my feelings:
It is my hope that no matter what goal I am trying to accomplish this year, that I will always put people first. Material things don’t last. They break, get worn out, or we simply lose interest in them and they sit around somewhere and collect dust. Memories are what truly matter. I wish you all a happy and prosperous 2017!
What 2017 resolutions have you set? Comment below.